The internet is full of sensational articles about how green coffee beans are the new big thing in weight loss revolution. How much of this is true?
This blog tells you everything you need to know about this miracle produce, its benefits, its impact on weight loss and the Ayurvedic medicine use of Green Coffee Beans.
–> SEE ALSO: 10 Weight Loss Questions Answered: Part 1
Regular Coffee VS Green Coffee Beans
What’s the big deal about green coffee beans anyway?
Green coffee beans are coffee beans that have not yet been roasted. Coffee beans are naturally and typically a light green color and have a slightly bitter taste. They turn brown when roasted, which is the regular coffee bean we use in our favourite beverages.
Roasting removes a major and important component of the green coffee beans, known as chlorogenic acid. This is an active molecule that has numerous benefits.
Green coffee beans have gained popularity in recent years due to their potential health benefits, including weight loss and other medicinal uses. Let’s look at some of these.
Benefits of Green Coffee Beans
1. They are High in Chlorogenic Acid
One of the main active ingredients in green coffee beans is chlorogenic acid. This is the game changer because:
- It is a type of polyphenol antioxidant.
- It is thought to have a number of health benefits, including weight loss, lower blood pressure, and improved glucose metabolism.
In fact, several studies have shown that green coffee bean extract, which is high in chlorogenic acid, can help to reduce body weight and body fat in people who are overweight or obese.
2. They May Help Lower Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
Cardiovascular disease occurs due to a number of factors like overweight, high cholesterol levels, high blood pressure or even formation of plaques in the arteries.
Green coffee beans have an overall positive effect by fighting against many of these factors that contribute to cardiovascular disease.
This happens in the following way:
- Studies show that Green Coffee beans may have a beneficial effect on blood pressure. There is sufficient research that suggests that chlorogenic acid, the main active ingredient in green coffee beans, may help lower blood pressure.
- Chlorogenic acid reduces the absorption of glucose in the intestine.
- It also increases the production of a compound called nitric oxide, which helps to relax blood vessels.
- Chlorogenic acid also help to improve cholesterol levels. It decreases the levels of LDL cholesterol, the “bad” cholesterol that contributes to the formation of plaques in the arteries.
Studies found that these effects of green coffee reduce cardiovascular risk factors to a great degree and even cardiovascular disease (CVD) in the long run. This means that green coffee beans can help you keep a healthy heart!
3. They Help Reduce Blood Glucose Levels
Green coffee beans may also help to reduce blood glucose levels. Glucose levels and heart disease: do you make the connection? This is also one of the reasons Green Coffee Beans reduce risk of CVD.
But how do they reduce blood glucose levels?
- Research suggests that chlorogenic acid, the main active ingredient in green coffee beans, improves insulin sensitivity.
- Insulin sensitivity ensures that the body’s ability for glucose metabolism, that is, is the way that the body processes sugar, improves.
- This may be especially beneficial for people with type 2 diabetes or at risk of developing diabetes at a later stage.
Basically, switching to supplements rich in Green Coffee Beans is a great way to reduce risk factors for diabetes.
–> SEE ALSO: Mohit’s Weight Loss Journey: A Better Relation With the Weighing Scale
4. They have a Great Impact on Weight Loss
Chlorogenic acid has another hidden talent – it has a high potential to reduce body weight and body fat. This is also another reason why green coffee beans have gained popularity as a weight loss supplement.
While existing research has mixed results, several studies have found that green coffee bean extract can help promote weight loss in people who are overweight or obese.
What does all this research say?
- A study published in the Journal of International Medical Research found that people who took green coffee bean extract lost an average of 8.5% of their body weight over 22 weeks, compared to 3.7% in the placebo group.
- Another study, published in the journal Gastroenterology Research and Practice, found that people who took green coffee bean extract lost an average of 7% of their body weight over 12 weeks, compared to 3.6% in the placebo group.
- A study with a small human sample size and short duration showed a number of participants losing weight.
How Green Coffee Beans May Promote Weight Loss
Green coffee beans promote weight loss in a variety of ways, and some of them are boosting metabolism, reducing appetite, improving glucose metabolism, and lowering blood pressure. Let’s take a closer look at each of these mechanisms:
1. Boosting Metabolism
Weight loss is often dependent on metabolism. Some people have fast metabolism and others have a slow one – making it difficult to lose weight.
One of the main mechanisms by which green coffee beans promotes weight loss is by boosting metabolism. Metabolism is basically the process by which the body converts food into energy.
And here’s the tea: chlorogenic acid, the main active ingredient in green coffee beans speeds up metabolism. Faster metabolism means the body is able to burn calories faster – hence lose weight faster. Here’s how it works:
- Green coffee beans help boost metabolism by inhibiting an enzyme called glucose-6-phosphatase, which plays a role in the production of glucose in the liver.
- By inhibiting this enzyme, the amount of glucose produced by the liver reduces.
- This process further leads to a decrease in fat storage and an increase in fat burning.
–> SEE ALSO: How to Lose Weight Quickly in the Winter?
2. Reducing Appetite
A natural lack of appetite may be a concerning condition. But if you struggle with cravings and hunger pangs despite eating well, green coffee beans can help you. They help reduce appetite.
Appetite is the desire to eat. For people who overeat, being able to control your appetite may be the crucial step to losing weight. Here’s how green coffee beans do this for you:
- Research suggests that chlorogenic acid, the main active ingredient in green coffee beans, inhibits the absorption of fat and glucose in the intestine.
- By reducing the absorption of these nutrients, you may also experience a decrease in hunger and cravings.
- A decrease in appetite naturally leads to a decrease in calorie intake.
3. Improving Glucose Metabolism
Glucose is essential for the body to function properly, but high glucose levels in the blood leads to diabetes. So, glucose metabolism, or the way that the body processes sugar is extremely important for us to maintain healthy blood.
Poor glucose metabolism can lead to high blood sugar levels and an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Green coffee beans help prevent this condition. Here’s how it helps you:
- Some research suggests that chlorogenic acid, the main active ingredient in green coffee beans, may help to lower blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity.
- This improves glucose metabolism by easily converting glucose molecules into energy.
- This is especially beneficial for people who have type 2 diabetes or are at risk of developing the condition.
4. Lowering Blood Pressure
Patients with hypertension, obesity and heart conditions, listen up: green coffee beans may also have a beneficial effect on blood pressure.
High blood pressure, or hypertension, is a major risk factor for heart disease and stroke. It also noticed that excess weight is a major reason for developing both these conditions. Here’s how green coffee beans solve this for you:
- Research suggests that chlorogenic acid may help to lower blood pressure by reducing the absorption of glucose in the intestine
- It also increases the production of a compound called nitric oxide, which helps to relax blood vessels.
–> SEE ALSO: Why Should Ashwagandha Be a Part of Your Lifestyle?
Ayurvedic Use of Green Coffee Beans
It’s only natural this gem of a seed is used in Ayurvedic medicine. Green coffee beans are used to support weight loss and improve digestion. The beans are also believed to have a warming effect on the body, which may help to boost metabolism and burn fat.
That’s why Sava Herbals prepared a unique formulation in its Lo-Wt with the goodness of green coffee beans along with other beneficial weight reducing herbs. Lo-Wt is an effective weight management ayurvedic proprietary medicine. It is enriched with pure and hygienically manufactured:
- Green Coffee Bean
The holistic effect of these herbs supports a healthy weight loss regime and improves lipid profile, keeping chronic diseases at bay. Green coffee beans are also thought to have a mild laxative effect, which may help improve digestion and prevent constipation.
That’s not all. They’re also used in Ayurvedic medicine to support cardiovascular health. The beans are believed to have a strengthening effect on the heart. The blood pressure lowering effects we discussed above along with improved circulation are highly beneficial for all of us.
However, it’s always wise to keep a few precautions in mind while using green coffee bean extract.
Possible Side-Effects of Green Coffee Beans
While green coffee beans are generally considered safe, they may have some side effects like:
- Upset stomach
- It may interact with certain medications, including blood pressure and diabetes medications.
To stay on the safer side, if you are taking any medications or have a medical condition, always remember to speak with your doctor before taking green coffee beans or any other dietary supplement.
–> SEE ALSO: If You’re Overweight, You Could Be At Risk For These 10 Health Problems
Green coffee beans are a rich source of chlorogenic acid, a type of polyphenol antioxidant that has a number of potential health benefits. They are generally safe for consumption, taken in the right quantity.
Lo-Wt by Sava Herbals is a safe and hygienically manufactured weight-loss supplement that utilizes all these benefits of green coffee bean extract in its formulation. Moreover, you can consult a doctor for free to make sure that it does not interfere with any medications you are already on.
2 thoughts on “Green Coffee Beans: Do They Help Reduce Weight?”
Reading your article helped me a lot, but I still had some doubts at the time, could I ask you for advice? Thanks.
Reading your article helped me a lot and I agree with you. But I still have some doubts, can you clarify for me? I’ll keep an eye out for your answers.