Recently there has been a lot of hype surrounding liver health and the need to detoxify your liver with the help of additional support.
Is this really necessary? Of course!
Our liver is the largest gland in the body and it regulates the levels of chemicals in our blood. The bile that it excretes is basically waste products from our blood.
Naturally, the regular functioning of liver is enough to keep our body functioning and healthy, but with the highly toxic nature of junk food and certain allopathic medications we take in the modern day, our liver is overloaded with work.
Let’s not forget the alcohol abuse most of us are capable of.
Liver supplements, especially the naturally occurring ones, are a boon when it comes to boosting liver health in this scenario. It can keep a number of liver issues like non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), liver cirrhosis, hepatitis etc. away.
Let’s take a look at 7 natural liver supplements you can include in your diet to boost liver health and detoxify your lifesaver organ.
1. Milk Thistle
The more scientific name for milk thistle is Silymarin, which is obtained from its seeds. Milk Thistle has an amazing life-saving ability to increase the concentration of glutathione – the mother of all antioxidants, in the liver.
–> SEE ALSO: 5 Best Ways to Reverse Liver Damage
- The antioxidant nature of Silymarin optimizes liver function and further helps in its detoxification.
- It has application in treatment of all types of liver diseases including Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) and alcohol-related liver disease.
- Milk thistle is in fact, a popular method to treat hepatitis (both viral and alcoholic) and liver cirrhosis.
- Silymarin also promotes liver cell generation, benefitting people with weak liver function.
Licorice root extracts have been proven to be a safe and effective way to reduce all forms of scarring and damage done to liver tissue due to various infections of the organ.
The glycyrrhizin component in licorice roots has a history of being used in the treatment of liver disease not just in Ayurveda, but also traditional Chinese and Japanese medicine.
- Studies point out that licorice roots have anti-inflammatory, anticancer, antioxidant, and anti-microbial effects.
- It reduces liver injury in people who already have liver diseases by enhancing the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory capacity of the liver.
- Licorice root extracts also decrease liver enzyme levels in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD).
- Glycyrrhizin also protects the liver from alcohol-related liver damage.
3. Green Tea
The antioxidant property of green tea makes it a great beverage for a number of ailments. Drinking green tea, without adding extra sugar is the best way to benefit your liver.
- Studies show that people who drink green tea regularly have a greater protective effect against various liver diseases.
- It is also low in calories with a treasure trove of nutritional benefits, which makes it effective against NAFLD.
- The fat metabolizing function of green tea also helps improve liver function.
- It is also necessary to drink green tea in safe amounts because it is easy to cause hepatotoxicity due to its very potent nature.
–> SEE ALSO: 7 Ways Ayurveda Can Change Your Life
Himsra, also known as Caper Bush, is a perennial plant with fleshy leaves and large white to pinkish-white blossoms.
Capers buds are high in vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, vitamin B12, iron, potassium, sodium, and fibre.
With such an impressive constituent profile, Himsra naturally exhibits antioxidant, antiviral, immunomodulatory, anti-inflammatory, and anti-biliary properties, which aid in the treatment and management of oxidative damage and liver problems.
- Himsra has hepatoprotective properties and is good for the liver because it contains antioxidants.
- It lessens oxidative stress and guards against free radical damage to liver cells.
- According to Ayurveda, it has Vata-balancing properties that protect the liver by lowering oxidative stress due to its antioxidant properties.
This herb is popularly called ‘Bhumi Amla’ or ‘Dukong anak’ in various parts of India. This is probably the most beneficial herb for boosting liver health in humans due to the compounds present in this herb.
Jaundice, weak liver function, swelling in the liver are some of the many disorders that find solutions with Bhumyamalaki.
- Bhumi Amalaki is probably one of the few rare herbs that can reverse any damage done to the liver, detoxifying and nourishing it.
- It has hepatoprotective, antioxidant and antiviral properties, which makes it a great liver health supplement.
- The herb helps manage a number of liver disorders like hepatitis, cirrhosis, NAFLD etc.
- Bhumi Amla also helps purify blood, and is thus taken in tablet or powder format daily.
Guduchi is also called Giloy Plant. Known for its high medicinal value in Ayurveda, Guduchi has important applications in a number of ailments including liver health.
–> SEE ALSO: Mohit’s Weight Loss Journey: A Better Relation With the Weighing Scale
- Guduchi acts as an immune-modulator herb.
- The roots of this herb have healing properties which is why it is great for liver regeneration.
- Its action in reducing toxins (ama) makes it a great inti-inflammatory herb that prevents liver infections.
- Guduchi is also beneficial to cure bleeding disorders, hence why it is useful for liver cirrhosis.
This herb has numerous applications in Ayurveda, and is known for its particular bitter taste. Kutki is also interchangeably called Katuka and this herb has recently become increasingly popular worldwide for its liver-friendly properties.
- The root of this herb is said to be cooling, cleansing and has anti-bacterial properties.
- The herb pacifies the Pitta imbalance which causes hepatitis and most other liver disorders.
- It’s a potent anti-inflammatory agent and detoxifier, making it very useful as a hepatoprotective supplement.
Combine Several Herbs in a Single Liver Solution
Imagine getting the benefits of the above-mentioned herbs in a single, easy-to-take formula that is safe for consumption and clinically proven effective?
That’s Sava Herbal’s Livstar(TM) for you.
At a time when fatty liver disease plagues a vast majority of us, this herbal supplement is a must-have for all adults trying to keep a healthy liver.
Enriched with the goodness of Bhumi Amla, Guduchi, Licorice, Pippali, Musta, Kalmegha, Kutki, Himsra, Daruharidra, and Punarnava, Livstar helps nourish and detoxify your liver, so that it works in optimum condition.
2 thoughts on “7 Natural Liver Supplements to Boost Liver Health”
Reading your article helped me a lot and I agree with you. But I still have some doubts, can you clarify for me? I’ll keep an eye out for your answers.
Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!